Wednesday, May 28, 2008

A sight worth TON!!!

We were just about to step on the entrance to Devil’s Canyon in Bhagavan Mahaveer Wildlife Sanctuary when we heard a strong hissing sound from the bushes just 5-10 steps away from us. I initially thought that it must be Langoors but the hidden animal was not arboreal. Ajit & I remained motionless for a second while Saish slowly descended down to see that what it was. He first announced that it was a deer, than Sambar. The herd was rushing on the climb and I could see the horns moving in a rush. At first, I thought it must be a herd of local cattle that must have been in forest for grazing. But I was proved wrong soon by the two faces that exchanged their looks with me. Their horn was glued to white mane and they were in black and brown colour. My heart gave a jerk when I came to know that it was a herd of Indian Gaur, the state animal of Goa.
I didn’t romanticize this sighting because I went 2-3 steps back in fear of this hefty animal, weighing almost a ton. We three remained stunned and watched their pageant silently till they vanished into the forest.
It was one of the moments in my life that I would never forget like my first sight of a Sambar running with a huge speed, Asian Paradise Flycatcher’s aerobic movements with its handsome tail, the jump of Giant Squirrel, the python in hibernation and the community of Pied Hornbills. For past one and half year, whatever sweet memories wildlife has offered to me are the ones that I shall cherish throughout my journey. This sighting was an addition to it, and we returned back from BMWS.

No comments: